Author Topic: BBC NI reports says electric bikes count as mppeds in NI  (Read 179 times)

Offline S3_S3_S3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40861110

Surely NI is covered by the same EU electric bike rules as UK?

Offline Chris Juden

Re: BBC NI reports says electric bikes count as mppeds in NI
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 21:30:24 »
NI has it's own unique version of the Road Traffic Acts, which lets them do their own things - such as making it illegal to cycle without a bell on your bike. Yes indeed, believe me, not that you'd know by counting the bells or lack of them on NI bicycles. And there is no EU directive requiring any special treatment for pedelecs. If one member state wishes to treat them as low-speed mopeds under their own tax and licensing regime, that is their prerogative. They do not need to "Take back control" in order to do that.

As with so many areas of domestic UK cock-up, we have perfectly adequate controls already. What our politicians lacked was the will to grasp a few home-grown nettles in order effectively to and USE the powers they always had. So much easier to let it slide and blame Europe! But I digress.

Offline S3_S3_S3

« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2017, 14:52:52 »
Yes, but I suppose most people would expect things like modern traffic laws to be the same in something called the UK and although by research the 1983 amendment cab be found to apply a 'mainland'-only law predating direct rule, it dates from when NI was under direct rule so making a parallel update for NI would have seemed reasonable  (and surely the amendment or its explanatory note should have mentioned the need for a separate NI law), and so by time of EU update I suppose most expected that to be an update for whole UK: devolving traffic law in a small country like UK seems a bit dubious to me..... Prompted by the recent news, my brother says he remembers sinclair C5s counting as mopeds in NI but not mainland but I suppose the gap between C5s and current popularity of e-bikes is long enough for memory(like mine :( )  to fail.... All the e-bike uk-law advice sites I have seen previous to above news  (eg AtoB.org.uk) have failed to notice this submerged iceberg.....

I wasn't commenting on any 'taking back control/or not' from EU*, just that by the time of that EU update, it was reasonable to expect it to be applied across whole the UK: again devolving important traffic law within the small UK seems a bit dubious to me).

*I am sure there is a forum for that somewhere :)

Offline IainP

« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2017, 18:57:47 »
Scots traffic law can be different, e.g. Lower blood alcohol level applies here. It is not devolution or EU related but that criminal law in Scotland has always been independent and not affected by 1707 Act. No reason why the constituent countries of UK can't have their own preferences in many areas of law.

Offline S3_S3_S3

« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2017, 15:06:42 »
The UK is a small country, in my opinion it would be better for important (eg Transport) laws to be standardised...  :).

Offline 2whls3spds

« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 02:13:37 »
Kind of like the differences from state to state in the USA. However when it comes to driving under influence the federal government cracked down and it is the same in all 50, however sentencing varies greatly. BTW there will ALWAYS be a Scotland!

Aaron 8)
"Cycling should be a way of life... RIDE you fool, RIDE!"