Author Topic: Roadster Rack  (Read 180 times)

Offline robc02

Roadster Rack
« on: 18 July 2017, 20:47:58 »
Some of you will know my 1950s Humber roadster with its Raleigh rack - usually with a wire basket attached. I have been unhappy with the general flexiness of that rack for some time but I haven't seen anything better that still "looks the part" on a 1950s bike - so I decided to make my own, with all joints brazed rather than simply pinned to a wrapped bracket as on the original.

It was to be made from 1/2 inch diameter 20 gauge steel tubing - because I had 20 or 30 feet of it left over from another project! To bend it without the walls collapsing would need a pipe bending tool, which I also decided to make. In fact I made it with two sets of forming rollers, one for 1/2 inch and one for 10mm tubing, in anticipation of future jobs. It would be fairly easy to add other sizes, up to about 3/4 inch, if required. Here it is with a practice piece:

DSCN2171 by SturmeyRob, on Flickr

As mentioned above, all the joints were brazed to reduce flex. The alignment was done with the parts temporarily on the bike, where the joints were tack welded with MIG. Final brazing and finishing was done on vice and/or bench. For neatness, I domed the ends of the legs where they join to the fixing plates:

DSCN2169 by SturmeyRob, on Flickr
DSCN2168 by SturmeyRob, on Flickr
DSCN2167 by SturmeyRob, on Flickr

Finally, I painted it to match the bike. Here it is:

DSCN2187 by SturmeyRob, on Flickr

I am pleased with the result. It is much stiffer than the original while keeping the overall appearance. Into the bargain its quite a bit lighter. Another bonus is that my panniers fit on the 1/2inch tubing - the old rack tubing was just a bit too fat for the clips.

Offline Steve B

Re: Roadster Rack
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2017, 12:07:57 »
Nice work Rob.
I liked the tantalysing glimpse of the workshop too. Hats off to you for the brazing. The closest I got to anything like that was the lead soldering part of my plumbing course.

Offline robc02

« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2017, 20:05:17 »
Thanks.
The brazing / bronze welding was done with a Bullfinch air / propane torch. I've had it for many years and it was (and still is as far as I know) one of the cheapest ways of raising steel to brazing temperature. It just about gets thin steel sections to the right temperature for brazing but doesn't have much in reserve! It's fine for silver brazing, though.
I keep wondering about getting oxy propane kit now that you can get oxygen bottles without a rental agreement. It would make this kind of job very much easier.

Offline Tizme

« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2017, 18:15:35 »
That looks truly amazing!

I am always in awe of people who can produce such works of art, it just looks so right for the bike.

Offline robc02

« Reply #4 on: 3 August 2017, 10:08:51 »
Thanks Tizme. It's just basic metalworking really - something I've always enjoyed. It's especially satisfying when I can make something that I can't just go out and buy - but I'm also happy just fixing and modifying things.

Offline GrahamTCT

• Inside Norfolk, so you don't have to be.
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2017, 10:42:43 »
That is utterly superb   8)

When do the full production runs start?   :)

Offline robc02

« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2017, 19:10:59 »
When do the full production runs start?   

I am pleased to announce that the first run will take place within a month of my winning the National Lottery Jackpot ;)

Offline 2whls3spds

« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 02:11:44 »
Excellent job on the rack build. I don't have the time (and probably barely have the skillset). I cheaped out and bought the big rack with the built in kickstand from Dutch Bike Bits. ;)

Aaron 8)
"Cycling should be a way of life... RIDE you fool, RIDE!"