Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 655 times)

Offline Rob_W

Wikipedia
« on: 13 January 2017, 10:33:09 »
I was reading Wikipedia's "Bicycle Touring" article and noticed that the "see also" links at the end do not include the Touring Cyclist Club though they do have the CTC (not yet CUK!) and the  League of American Bicyclists.

CUK, The Tandem Club, Audax UK, The Moulton Bicycle Club all have Wikipedia entries (= great free publicity) but the Touring Cyclist Club does not (yet?) ...

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2017, 17:34:40 »
Good call - I'll see if we can get listed.

Thanks

Rob
Webmaster - and cycle tourer

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2017, 14:25:33 »
Have to admit that I don't know much about editing Wikipedia BUT I appear to have added TCC as an external link in the Bicycle Touring article . . . . does anyone know how to create an entry in the main Wikipedia content please?

Rob

Offline Rob_W

« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2017, 22:13:01 »
Just checked and your TCC external link has been deleted. Stated reason is that: ""See also" section is only for links to other Wikipedia articles."

It all looks rather complicated, not so much the process of creating an article (there's a guide) but the rules and regulations about what is and is not permitted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Your_first_article

Perhaps a Wikipedia-savvy Forum member will emerge ...  :-\

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2017, 12:37:08 »
Just checked and your TCC external link has been deleted. Stated reason is that: ""See also" section is only for links to other Wikipedia articles."

It all looks rather complicated, not so much the process of creating an article (there's a guide) but the rules and regulations about what is and is not permitted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Your_first_article

Perhaps a Wikipedia-savvy Forum member will emerge ...  :-\

Ah - it did seem too easy/too good to be true :(   

I've put a request out for some guidance and help via a couple of sources elsewhere.

Rob

Offline steve m

« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2017, 19:08:03 »
Best of luck with that one ,and what a great idea !

Offline MikeFromLFE

« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2017, 15:53:12 »
I'm bored, and it's not really bike riding weather - so I've submitted a draft page. Sorry if I'm treading on anyone's toes, but once the page has been accepted then it can be edited to our/your heart's content, and any errors and all omissions corrected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Touring_Cyclist_Club

Offline bikepacker

« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2017, 16:45:34 »
I'm bored, and it's not really bike riding weather

I don't know where you live but my wife and I have done a nice 51 mile ride today, in what I can only describe as good weather for February.
Most people tiptoe through life hoping they make it safely to death.

www.bikepacker.co.uk

Offline IainP

« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2017, 16:15:25 »
I'm bored, and it's not really bike riding weather - so I've submitted a draft page. Sorry if I'm treading on anyone's toes, but once the page has been accepted then it can be edited to our/your heart's content, and any errors and all omissions corrected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Touring_Cyclist_Club

I wondered if the page had been successful as it seems a good 'free' means of promotion.