Author Topic: GPX file library of routes  (Read 867 times)

Offline Greybeard

GPX file library of routes
« on: 16 September 2016, 20:29:14 »
Folk that know me will no doubt be quite shocked that I should even know what a GPX file is  ::) To be honest, I don't but I have used them and even created the odd one or two. Was it Edmund Blackadder that said 'I've no idea how a shirt works but I'm more than happy to wear one'? Some time ago my wife bought me a Satmap Active 10 which Ive found very useful on some rides, though it can make you incredibly lazy when it comes to getting a map out of the saddlebag. I wondered whether a library of plotted routes for day rides and tours may be of use to members, especially those visiting other parts of the country on holiday for instance.

Steve
Happy to ride anything made since 1880, even if the wheels are very different sizes, though I prefer inflatable tyres if it's for a long way :-)

Offline GrahamTCT

• Inside Norfolk, so you don't have to be.
Re: GPX file library of routes
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2016, 20:33:23 »
Folk that know me will no doubt be quite shocked that I should even know what a GPX file is  ::)
Quite shocked? I'm still stunned you've got a microwave! :o

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2016, 09:28:09 »
The website component is already installed to have a "library" of routes - the simplest format being .gpx (the "pdf of mapping") - and arranged in some form of perhaps regional index.

The plan is that it would be a member only facility requiring the TCC member to log-in to the site to access and download routes (and potentially other resources) - the key of course is getting members to submit routes!

Rob
- webmaster
Webmaster - and cycle tourer

Offline GrahamTCT

• Inside Norfolk, so you don't have to be.
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2016, 09:52:53 »
Excellent. I'll start plotting my 'utility' routes, which are basically "pleasant ways to get from here to here" in and around Norfolk, making the most of quiet lanes etc.

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: 4 November 2016, 23:30:52 »
gpx routes are everywhere
Bikely, Bikeroutetoaster, mapmyride, strava need I go on?

The issue is the quality and to become a decent resource they need editing and a huge degree of thoughts before they are uploaded otherwise the good ones are simply drowned out by a mass of 'rubbish'

Can I suggest to stand out from the crowd that the ACA model is adopted where maybe 60 routes are created and uploaded and are regularly reviewed.

Neil

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 5 November 2016, 08:26:22 »
gpx routes are everywhere
Bikely, Bikeroutetoaster, mapmyride, strava need I go on?

The issue is the quality and to become a decent resource they need editing and a huge degree of thoughts before they are uploaded otherwise the good ones are simply drowned out by a mass of 'rubbish'

Can I suggest to stand out from the crowd that the ACA model is adopted where maybe 60 routes are created and uploaded and are regularly reviewed.

Neil

Absolutely spot on! - What we envisage is pretty much what you are suggesting.

I see that you have emailed us too - I'll reply direct later this morning.

Thanks

Rob
Webmaster - and cycle tourer